This recipe comes from John Bishop’s “Simply Bishop” cookbook. The flavors are simple yet flavorful. Coconut milk and lemongrass makes a distinctive taste to the traditional crab chowder. – Jen
1/2 lb Crab Meat
2 Tbsp Butter
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp Ginger (minced)
2 tsp Lemongrass (minced)
1/2 cup Onion (small dice)
1/2 cup Carrot (small dice)
1/2 cup Celery (small dice)
1/2 cup Fennel (small dice)
1/2 cup Red Pepper (small dice)
1/2 cup Yellow Pepper (small dice)
1/2 cup Sherry
2 cups Fish Stock or Chicken Stock
1 can (14 oz) Coconut Milk
1 Red Thai Chili Pepper
1 Bay Leaf
3 Tbsp Fresh Basil (chopped)
1 Tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
2 Tbsp Lime juice
1.5 tsp Salt
- Preheat soup pot over medium heat. Saute the aromatics....the ginger, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, lemongrass, and fennel. Saute for about 5 mins. Then add the peppers and saute for another 3-4 mins.
- Add the sherry to deglaze the pot. Add the stock, coconut milk, chili pepper, bay leaf, lime juice and chopped basil. Bring to a boil, and then simmer on medium low heat uncovered for 30 mins. Add the crabmeat and continue simmering for another 10 mins.
- Be sure to remove bay leaf and chili pepper. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
* This tasty recipe is from Simply Bishop’s which is an excellent cookbook by John Bishop and Dennis Green.