Saffron is a very popular spice used in seafood cooking. You can find saffron in you local Indian market. – Jen
* This recipe has a many steps but is well worth it!
3 Halibut fillets (6 oz each)
3 slices of Prosciutto
½ tsp paprika, salt and pepper
1 cup Orange juice
1 cup White wine
2 Hot Red or Green chili (seeded and chopped)
1 tbsp Brown sugar
½ tsp Saffron threads
1 tsp Orange zest
¼ tsp salt
1/4 cup Red onion (finely chopped)
1 clove Garlic (minced)
1 Tbsp Lime juice
½ cup Cherry Tomatoes (quartered)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp Parsley (chopped)
Salt and Pepper
½ ripe Avocado
- Start by making the sauce. In a small saucepan bring orange juice, wine, chilies, sugar, saffron and salt to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered until reduced to a 1/2 cup. (Approx 30 mins).
- Strain through a fine sieve into a small bowl, pressing on solids. Stir in the orange zest and set aside. This sauce can be made ahead of time.
- Make the salsa. Combine the red onion, garlic and lime juice. Cover and set aside for 30 mins.
- Just before serving the salsa, add the tomato, olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper. Peel and pit the avocado. Dice the avocado and fold it into the salsa mix.
- Cut each halibut fillet in half lengthwise. Lay slices on their side. Curving each, fit inot each other to form a tight round.
- Halve the prosciutto lengthwise, then wrap securely around the edges of the halibut to encase them. Secure with 2 small wood (presoaked) or meatl skewers.
- Season halibut bundles with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Preheat a greased grill to medium high heat.
- Grill fish bundles for 5 mins per side with the cover closed.
- Pour a small pool of the orange saffron sauce on plate. Place halibut bundle on top of the sauce. Top each fish bundle with the tomato avocado salsa.