This recipe is simple and delicious. Chef Gavin simplified the best Indian style sauce using fresh ingredients. The Ling cod stays soft and tender in the stew. – Jen
1 lb Ling Cod (cubed)
1 piece of Ginger (2” long peeled and chopped)
6 cloves Garlic (chopped)
½ cup Almonds (slivered and blanched)
2-4 tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Veg oil
2 Onions (chopped)
1 tsp Cumin
½ tsp Cardamom
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Coriander
2 cups Chicken Stock
1 can of Diced Tomatoes (28 oz size) (Pureed)
½ cup Red Lentils
2 Small Potatoes (peeled and diced small)
1 can of Chick Peas (14 oz size) (Drained and lightly rinsed)
½ cup Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Cut Ling Cod into bite sized pieces. Reserve.
- Using a food processor, puree the ginger, garlic, almonds and water. Make into a paste.
- Preheat a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add a touch of veg oil and sauté the onion. (4-5 mins)
- Next add the spice mix paste and sauté together. (Cook for an additional 3 mins)
- Add the chicken stock and tomato and bring to a boil. Then add the potatoes and lentils. Simmer for until the potatoes and lentils are cooked. (Approx. 20-30 mins)
- Then add the chick peas and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Lastly, add the ling cod. (Cook fish for 4-6 mins)
- Serve stew in bowls.
- * This is a good recipe from a Sustainable Seafood Cookbook called “Fish For Thought” produced by the Living Oceans Society.