This is a delicious way of eating raw tuna. The spices and herb that encrusts the tuna will act as a cure and cook the outside of the loin and seals in the moisture and flavour inside. - Jen
1 lb Albacore Tuna Loin
1 cup Sugar
½ cup Sea Salt
½ Tbsp Peppercorns (coarsely ground)
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Seed (toasted and coarsely ground)
2 Lemons (zested and juiced)
- Roll out 2 sheets of saran wrap onto counter. Be sure to overlap the sheets and create an area 2 ft by 2 ft.
- Place tuna loin in the middle of saran wrap area.
- Make the marinade for the tuna in a bowl by combining the sugar, salt, the spices, the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Rub the tuna loin all over with the marinade rub covering all sides.
- Then, steadily and tightly roll the saran wrap up around the tuna. You want to wrap the tuna completely while having the marinade rub pressed against it on all sides.
- Place saran wrapped tuna on a baking sheet. Place tuna in the fridge to marinate for 5 to 6 hrs. Turn the tuna over occasionally during this process.
- Unwrap the tuna loin and carefully wipe off any excess marinade rub from the exterior. Don’t rinse the tuna off under the tap, or you will wash lots of flavor down the drain.
- This tuna loin is cured and served cold. This recipe may not be for everone!
- Next, place tuna on a cutting board and slice into ½ “ thick slices.
- Serve this tuna on a bed of mixed greens or an Asian style rice vermicelli noodle salad.