This dish is made to impress. Make sure your knife is sharp for cutting the lobster in half. Chef Gavin wrote this recipe in detail, making it foul proof for everyone! – Jen
2 live Lobsters (1.5 lbs each)
1.5 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Brandy
1/2 cup Milk
100 ml Whipping Cream
1-2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
Squeeze of Lemon juice
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Put the lobsters into the pot head first and cook for 8-10 mins. Then remove them from the boiling water, and cool in a colander that is placed in your sink. Run cool water (continuously) over the lobsters to cool them down. Allow to cool for 10 mins or so.
- On a large cutting board, cut the lobsters in half lengthways, and discard the dark sac behind the eyes. Next, pull out the string-like intestine from the tail. Remove the meat from the shells, and be sure to reserve the coral and liver. Rinse the shells and wipe them dry. Cut the lobster meat into bite size pieces.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until slightly golden. Add the brandy and milk, whisking vigorously until smooth.
- Next, whisk in the cream and mustard.
- Press the lobster coral and liver through a sieve into the sauce and whisk to blend.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and simmer sauce for 10 mins, stirring frequently until thickened. Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Preheat broiler in the oven.
- Arrange the lobster shells in a pyrex 9 x 13 or corningware of the same size.
- Stir the lobster meat into the sauce and divide it evenly among the shells. Sprinkle lightly with parmesan cheese, and broil until golden (4-5 mins approx.). Be sure to keep an eye on the broiler lobsters!
- Garnish lobsters with some chopped parsley and/or dill. Serve 1 half lobster per plate.